Ford cars of the 1980s - UK
The 1980s saw the end of the Ford Cortina (1982) and Ford Capri (1987). Ford continued their 1970s' success with the Fiesta, Escort and Granada.
The Sierra was the all-new Cortina replacement. Its wind tunnel tested body gave it the nickname 'jelly mould'. Buyers weren't initially impressed, but soon embraced the new look.
Another new name for the 1980s was the Orion. The new Escort (1980) was a hatchback. The Orion satisfied more conservative buyers looking for a small family saloon with a boot.
Ford could do no wrong in the 1980s. Fords were the best-selling cars of the 1980s. The Escort was number 1, the Fiesta number 2 and the Sierra number 3.
Read more: Britain's best-selling cars from the 80s
A complete list of Ford cars from the 1980s is:
- Ford Fiesta Mk1 1976-1983
- Ford Fiesta Mk2 1983-1989
- Ford Escort Mk2 1974-1980
- Ford Escort Mk3 1980-1986
- Ford Escort Mk3 1986-1992
- Ford Orion Mark 1 (1983–1986)
- Ford Orion Mark 2 (1986–1990)
- Ford Cortina Mk5 1979-1982
- Ford Sierra Mk1 1982-1987
- Ford Sierra Mk1 1987-1993
- Ford Capri Mk 3 1978-1987
- Ford Granada Mk 2 1977-1985
- Ford Granada Mk 3 1985-1994
- Ford Transit Mk 2 1977-1986
- Ford Transit Second Generation (Mk 3) 1986-2003
- Ford cars of the 1950s
- Ford cars of the 1960s
- Ford cars of the 1970s
- Britain's best-selling cars from the 80s