G-Plan Danish by Ib Kofod-Larsen is amongst the most desirable of all retro style furniture.
Gomme introduced the G-Plan Danish range in 1962 in response to intense competition from genuine imported Scandinavian furniture. All the design work was done by the Dane, Ib Kofod-Larsen and the majority of this furniture bears the G-Plan Danish stamp with his signature.
G-Plan Danish was finished in classic teak with details, such as the handles, being in rosewood. There were some pieces made predominantly in rosewood. As was common with most quality furniture of the era, the solid parts, e.g. the legs were made in solid afrormosia, with some elements in beach.
The original range included the following pieces:
- 4020 - sideboard 7ft 6 in in teak, with sycamore interior and square handles in rosewood, cost then £61 10s
- 4021 - sideboard 5 ft 6 in with similar finish (illustrated above), cost £47 10s in 1962
- 4320 - extending table capable of seating ten people, top teak frame and legs in solid afrormosia
- 8022 - teak trolley
- 6243 - three seater settee
- 6241 - matching easy chair
- 6245 - low backed easy chair
- 6247 - TV (armless) easy chair
- Dining chair with curved rosewood back
- 8730/8731 - low open bookcases
Gomme was able to manufacture these designs to their usual high standards, although G-Plan Danish was somewhat more expensive than their other furniture. Consequently it is rarer.
Ib Kofod-Larsen designed another range of furniture for Gomme in 1966 under the G-Plan Danish label. The most impressive piece was a 6 ft 4 in sideboard veneered in Rio rosewood. It featured thin elegant legs in solid rosewood and two large circular handles finished in leather. The sideboard sold for £85 at the time. There was also a teak version of the same design selling for £65.
G-Plan Danish label
To be one hundred percent certain a piece is genuine G-Plan Danish, look out for the G-Plan Danish label illustrated left.
The G-Plan Danish label was used on pieces designed by Ib Kofod-Larsen. It carries his signature and the words 'DESIGNED BY IB KOFOD-LARSEN, G-PLAN DANISH DESIGN, MADE BY E GOMME LTD, HIGH WYCOMBE, BUCKS'.
Look out for this label on pieces attributed to Ib Kofod-Larsen.
Buy G-Plan Danish
G-Plan Danish does come up on eBay. Look for:
Add your comments on G-Plan Danish
Your guide to vintage and retro